50 Things I've Learned in my 50-Plus Years
I'm neck-deep in an exciting new project right now, so 15-hour days are my current norm. Thankfully, my amazing sister's come to the rescue again with another fresh take on middle-age. This is delightfully short, salty and very satisfying – like a box of BBQ Shapes. Enjoy.
1. I'm fat. I've gotten over it. You should too.
2. No matter how wonderful you are and how much I love you, I am never shaving my arms, legs or whoopsadaisy for you or anyone else ever again.
3. I need sleep.
4. My idea of a fun night revolves around my chaise lounge, the tv and a quilting hoop.
5. I will never write as many books in the rest of my life, as I will read in the rest of my life. And I'm fine with that.
6. Grey hair is sexy.
7. You don't need so many things. There are too many things. Get rid of some.
8. Fragrant soaps in the shower make me happy.
9. Sneaking back to bed for a half hour between finishing my breakfast and having a shower feels delightfully naughty, even if it's not that restful.
10. There's no place like home.
11. Silence is golden. And mostly preferred to any other sounds.
12. Grown up children are simply wonderful.
13. The joy of leftovers for a work lunch give me a midday attack of the happies.
14. Working is good for the brain. Sure, a part of me would love to sit on the couch all day and hum, but I would quickly forget where the toilet is.
15. You can never have too many books.
16. There is always more to learn. Hence, the books.
17. I'm proud of the fact that I know where most of the public toilets in the Melbourne CBD are. Just ask me.
18. Making quilts means more to me than a clean house. Over 100 quilts later, I still stand by this theory.
19. Bed is my favourite place in the whole world. The comfort of fresh bedding to slip into after a full day of being grown up can't be matched.
20. There's always room in your life for the consumption of water. Drink lots of it. It's free; it's good for you and your body and brain will thank you.
21. Spend time in nature, be it sitting on the grass, sitting on the sand by the beach or sitting in a forest or park. Without any effort at all, your body and spirit will absorb the good stuff, and it won't cost a thing.
22. I may hate the summer, but at least all the towels get dry in record time.
23. Nothing says “I love you”, like the intoxicating aroma of a home cooked stew wafting down the driveway as you walk in from a long day at work.
24. I love my life. It's not perfect and could certainly use more money, but I have so much that makes me happy, right here and now.
25. You don't ever need an excuse to take a nap.
26. Never knock back the opportunity to hug. Store those mothers up.
27. Relax. A lot. If we're not careful, we spend too much of our energy working, making money and planning for a future. It's good to have a plan and work towards a secure future, but take time to relax NOW. Your mental and physical health depends upon it.
28. I can't count.
If this article was beneficial to you, consider subscribing and I'll send you a little reminder each week when I publish a new post. Get bonus points for sharing with someone you care about.
Please note this disclaimer regarding affiliate links on this site.